Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Namakaranam a.k.a Naming Ceremony

This is the day, I got my offical name(s) (religiously, not legally).

According to family tradition, this is done on 21st day of my birth.(30 Dec 2007)
As per my mother's wish, the ritual is performed in temple(Sri Siva Vishnu temple). My dad thought it would be appropriate to do in presence of Goddess Saraswathi, after all, I was named after her. Well, I was not old enough to make my wishes clear, so the ceremony was done according to their wishes. On this day, I had to be named with 3 different names with each of them having its own significance, so the priest says.
  1. Nakshatra Naamam - Yogya (Based on birth star, has to start with telugu alphabet "YO")
  2. Vyavahara Naaman - Sahiti (Social/Legal Name)
  3. Maasa Naamam - Srinidhi (Based on birth month, has to be one of Goddess Lakshmi's names) -
My dad had to write all the three names with his ring in a rice plate. Besides that, all I remember from that day is my mom and dad speaking (may be, telling me) those name in my right ear three times.
In case you are wondering, I don't have any pictures from the ceremony, as it is performed in the temple and photography is prohibited inside the main temple.

1 comment:

RAJ*** said...

Hi Ravi & Family

Nice Blog !

Keep going..

Regards
RajeshD